Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defense ability  (Read 2922 times)

Deuxtan

• View Profile
Defense ability
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
Something like a magic shield for the mage, dodging for rogues and deflecting attacks with the sword for the warrior.

A defense ability would introduce a lot more skill and tactics to battle system, which I find important for roguelikes, since getting better each time is one of the core motivations of playing them.

It stays active for ca. 1 sec, with a cooldown of 5 seconds and energy use of 30. Or even a percentage of the energy to make players really think twice when the right timing is to use it. Keybinding on the left alt key, on a mac the left cmd key.

How does that sound to you?

Kevin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Defense ability
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
I agree that having some secondary non-attack tactical skills would improve the game play. Ideally, something that was functionally the same for all classes (maybe cosmetically different) would be easier to implement and balance.

Incidentally, I'm planning on changing how potions work in the next release. I find the current energy top-off to be useful but not fun, so I'm experimenting with having them act as a short power-up that increases energy recharge, speed and attack rate.

Deuxtan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
My bad for not making it clear, with those examples I actually meant the same ability to negate incoming attacks. Just tried to add some flavor to it.

Might be worth noting that the idea came from frustration not being able to get better at dealing with ranged enemies. You just know you'll lose a certain amount of damage no matter what happens and it's only dependent on chance if you get hit or not.

The new potions work really good in my opinion, I really have to take more care of the energy bar now. Before I could just trash a crowded room shooting wildly. Though they still give a raw energy bonus, but much less if I remember correctly.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:21:23 AM by Deuxtan »

Crossredbu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
I'm reading this very much. I do not know if you took this information come from it.