Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: level timer  (Read 4026 times)

Cryfowl

• View Profile
level timer
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
I find it tends to be too short on some of the larger maps i can't even get 3/4 of the way through. Also it's frustrating when you die to it and start over in the start room and the gas is still killing you! You should add a little to the timer upon death. At least long enough to let you run back to where you died the first time.

Kevin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: level timer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
I'm bumping on the level timer in the next release so that it will scale along with the distance to the exit.

Cryfowl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
I think that'd be perfect. At least then you can dash back to the point  you left off at without getting killed all along the way.

Fyren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
Since I don't know how you generate levels, it's hard to say, but just distance from the start to the exit might not help much.  If the level has many branches, you can end up further away from the exit than from the start.  Maybe a better metric would be the total area of the level (either the number of walkable tiles or just the total dimensions including blocked-off space.)

In the case where the timer is variable, I think it becomes important you show it to the player, since they'll have no way to judge when it's running out.  I'm not sure if you meant you were or weren't going to make it visible.

zenjah

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:17 PM »
I'd like to be able to see the timer.

Cryfowl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
I'd like to be able to see the timer.
agreed - it would be useful to know if i have time to explore more during those times when you stumble upon the exit fairly quickly.

ncarve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »
Before reading this thread, I assumed the timer was always the same for every level. It would be very convenient indeed if the player could see it. You could do it in some slightly subtle way like cracks showing on the walls or the floor one minute before the collapse or something.