Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last will and testaments, dropping items  (Read 4854 times)

Fyren

• View Profile
Last will and testaments, dropping items
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »
I think LW&Ts are too strong, basically.  The difference between carrying over a 2-5k+ gold item between runs is pretty enormous.  And on the other hand, losing it is a pretty big blow.  So on top of the randomness of hoping it picks your weapon, which is probably your most important and expensive item, you have the randomness of getting them at all.

I started a game yesterday where I had three items from my previous run including a weapon.  On a bunch of levels I'd use a potion/food at the end just so I could potentially buy more of them in the shop to increase my chances of getting a LW&T to purchase.  Every level I'd sell any extra equipment I got beyond the three I carried over, in hopes of eventually getting 3 LW&Ts.  After level 22ish, I only had two, so I cut that down to keeping only two of them.  I eventually lost on level 25, but only after I ended up picking up two random junk items.

If I had the ability to drop items mid-level, I would have, just to make sure I kept the two items I wanted.  Overall the way it works is kind of unsatisfying to me.  I'm not sure if just adding the ability to drop items would really help much.

I don't have any good suggestions about the general LW&T system besides maybe that they are instead an item you can use while in shops.  They'd let you select a single item to carry over.  Using more than one would just let to change which you picked, so in the end, you're still only keeping one item at most.  I think I like an idea like that more because it reduces the variance between runs more (between the low of finding no LW&Ts and high finding three and then keeping the best 3 of your 5 items).

Another way to reduce variance is just to make weapons worse so they're not so much stronger than other items.  Making boots better would probably also help, since they seem to be the least useful slot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:23:35 PM by Fyren »

zenjah

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Last will and testaments, dropping items
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »
You actually can drop items. Click on the item's icon under your mana bar.  (It might be a double-click, not sure.)

Cryfowl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
actually there are some boots in the game that are great. I found a pair that made you invisible for a short time every time you tooka hit and those let you breeze through a room quickly.

Kevin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. This week's update will make some changes to inheritance and items. The last wills act the same, but when you start a new game you'll have the option of not equipping an item (save it for later) as well as the option of applying a soulstone to an item. A soulstone item will always return to your inheritance when you die for the next 24 hours, no matter what.

There's still some gamble about getting an item into your inheritance, but once it's there you can use one of your 3 daily soulstones to keep it there.

Hopefully this build will go up tomorrow, once it is let me know how you feel it handles the inheritance issues.

Fyren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
Are you planning on monetizing soulstones?  Overall, it's kind of strange to have a mechanic around a time-recharging consumable if not.

If you have an item soulstoned but have a will, can the soulstoned item be the one chosen by the will?  As in, I have a soulstoned item, an item I just found, and a will when I die.  Is the will guaranteed to pick the new item in that case?  If not, then I'd probably still end up dropping items on the ground and I'd maybe not ever soulstone an item.

As for not taking items with you on a run, is the inventory limited?  If not, people (read: at least me) might want to do grindy runs where they take nothing with them, then hope to find a good item and a will, drop everything else, then suicide to add it to their inventory.

Kevin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »
Yes, you're spot on with all points: soulstones will be monetized, wills will not be applied to protected items and at present there's no limit to inheritance (except that you can't have more than one instance of the same item).

ncarve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
I kind of think the mechanics to acquire Wills are bad.

Right now, with a 100% item resale rate at level 1 (and still very high for the next few levels), the user can just buy and resale a ton of stuff (provided he starts with some gold) and is almost guaranteed to get all 3 wills within in 3 levels. Considering how important those items are, there is pretty much no reason not to do it too. The thing is, if the user forgets or is super unlucky, it might get really hard to get those wills later on.

So basically, if it's going to be so simple to get all 3 of them and so punishing not to do it right away, you might as well just give them to the user at the start or change the way the user gets them.

For instance, there could be one on the floor every 5 levels or so, perhaps in secret rooms or have some boss-level enemies guaranteed to drop one. There are just so many options besides buying at the shop.

Kevin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
Good points.

The next release will change the frequency of Wills in the store. If a player has no wills, they will be common, but once a player acquires a will, they become much less common.